Monday, July 20, 2009

My faith....


I felt like I needed to write this post because something that a good friend said has weighed heavy on my mind. I consider myself a Christian probably because I grew up going to church and it became an important aspect of my life and culture...I want to believe that there is a God and I believe that Jesus believed that he died for our sins. blah blah... However, I'm not an ultra-religious person...I don't go quoting the bible, I don't try to tell people that they're wrong because God or Jesus didn't do such things, I try not to be too judgemental, and I try to keep my mind open. I've done research on various religions and have come to respect and admire all aspects of various religions. My belief in the words of the bible are very limited--I believe it's simply a book of virtues or mythology. Every culture since the beginning of man has tried to find explanations to the happenings of the world and reasons for man's actions. Who am I or you to say whether or not my religion is better than yours? Isn't it simply about respecting one another, not judging one another, loving each other and doing what is right?


I guess I've seen so much judgement, people segregate themselves from each other and families divide in the name of religion. Does declaring yourself "saved" really make you better than others and/or closer to God? I've seen a lot of hypocrisy and scandal come from the church and I've seen many "saved" people do some pretty "sinful" and destructive things.



So...back to my good friend.... I was somewhat giving her an update of what was going on in my life and she actually uttered the 's' word and how I need to be...SAVED. She also went on to explain the reason for all the difficulties in my life being simply because I wasn't "SAVED". Oh but wait...she even told me locusts will begin to appear. OMG!!!!!!!!!



My friend has had a rough couple years, caring for a mother that had cancer and eventually succumbed to it this year. People tend to find religion to help them through rough times. What she experienced with her mother was terrible and I have noticed that she has become more religious in the last year...I totally understand. But, to blame life's difficulties on a person not declaring themselves "saved" is so ridiculous. Bad things happen...terrible things happen to good people. Good things sometimes happen to bad people. People rely too much on God and religion to get them through when it's God that gives people the ability to get themselves through. This post is not to offend anyone and should my good friend happen to read this one...I hope that she is not too offended.



I pray every night and try to include those that are in need in my prayers. I believe in positive thoughts turning into positive energy. I've witnessed the power of positive thoughts. I would like to get back to my spirituality--being more tuned into my surroundings, learning more about other religions, creating more positive energy and taking what I can out of everything to create serenity and harmony within my environment.






No comments:

Post a Comment