Sunday, June 14, 2009

School...

Shortly after her diagnosis, I decided to quit my job and go back to school full-time to study special education. I already fell into the field of education and thought it would benefit myself and 'A' if I got a degree in special education. It took me a little over a year to get my degree and within that time 'A' began school.

I was very nervous about her behavior during school but I am so grateful that she had a wonderful kindergarten teacher. I let her teacher and the intervention team know about 'A's' diagnosis. Thankfully, 'A' was able to hold it together in school and did fairly well. The only symptoms that she presented were the ADHD-like ones--hyperactivy, distractibility, impulsivity, and disorganization. Some teachers seem to deal with her well but I made my presence known in the school and there was always ongoing communication between her teachers.

Sadly, 'A' has never had any true friends. She so desperately wants them and often blames me for her not having them. She is excellent about making them but somewhere along the line, she become pushy, controlling, moody and overbearing and they disappear. (She actually gets some of this honest--her father can be very pushy, overbearing, impulsive, and has difficulty with boundaries too)No matter what the family and I try to tell her or help her with, she is still unable to maintain friendships. Just recently, a little boy from school (I'm not too fond of such a precocious child playing with someone of the opposite sex) came over to play and she lost control of herself and spit in his face several times. Needless to say, we haven't seen or heard from him since.

'A' is really such a loving, empathetic, creative and fun child when she's feeling like herself and I just hope that as she gets older, she is able to maintain healthy relationships.

She recently went to her first sleepover and I was so nervous for her. I was so afraid that I'd get a phone call from the girl's mother, that they're not getting along or that 'A' but I had such a wonderful report. (sigh) She even had another little girl stay the night over but the girl was a bit strange and needy and got on 'A's' nerves. 'A' even came to me and said..."maybe she's bipolar too."

No comments:

Post a Comment